Sunday, November 13, 2011

Salted Nut Roll Ice Cream

My friend Kurt likes ice cream. A lot. Recently he presented me with a challenge I could not pass up. Over brunch, he said, ever-so-slyly, "You know what no one has tried yet? Salted nut roll ice cream." And I was off.

First, I had to deconstruct a salted nut roll, which I was not very familiar with. I found a nice web site that featured a home-made version of the confection. I learned that the nougat center is replicated with marshmallow cream. That I can do. Obviously the chewy texture would not be possible in ice cream, but I found a promising recipe for marshmallow ice cream and forged forth undeterred.

To the ice cream I folded lightly salted peanuts. Note to self, don't be a wuss, use saltier peanuts next time.

I used my old stand-by salted caramel sauce from smittenkitchen both to add into the ice cream in what I had hoped would be a beautiful golden ribbon, and to use warm as a topping for extra indulgence.

The results were mixed. While the final ice cream was a decadent twist on rich vanilla, with some peanuts tossed in, it was not nearly salty enough. The caramel I mixed in dissolved into the ice cream too much so it didn't offer that creamy texture I had hoped for. However, dousing the ice cream with a warmed tablespoon or four of the stuff may make you forget what the original challenge was and just enjoy the treat for what it is. And according to Kurt, he did. A lot.





No comments:

Post a Comment